Gems of Hungarian
The Marquise Ensemble presents you with a programme,
which takes you across the ages of Hungarian music
from 11st - 19th century.
The pieces are selected from:
- Hungarian folk songs from the earliest times.
- Music from the Hungarian middle ages- fragment from Sigismundian age.
- Renaissance Music from the court of King Matthias
- Songs of Balint Balassi, the composer of the borderlands.
- Hungarian Renaissance dances and songs from the Kájoni Codex, Levočské manuscript, Vietóris Codex (among others compositions from Monteverdi,
Tardi, Schütz and also Gipsy songs, Hungarian traditional, songs and
Hungarian Christian songs)
- Book of Virginal from Sopron
- 18th century music ’Verbunkos’, played during military recruiting.
- 18th- 19th century dances and songs so-called 'flower songs'
- Duets from Harmonia Caelestis by Prince Paul Eszterházy and pieces by
other Hungarian 18th century composers, like Johann Kusser.